The Red Fig Pear Heirloom Cherry Tomato is an old rare heirloom variety dating back to 1850s when it was originally sold by The David Landreth Seed House of Philadelphia. (1) This variety was often dried in the sun / dehydrated and used as a preserved winter food source. It is a versatile cherry tomato variety producing abundant yields. The parent plant of these seeds comes from an organic Amish grower and have been grown in a hydroponic environment. This seed is ideal for growing in a hydroponic or aeroponic system such as the vertical Tower Garden FLEX or Farm Stand with a trellis support to the side. It would also do well in a Bato Bucket system with either vertical or side support as vines get 5-6' long. Final fruit size is around an inch-and-a-half (1½"" inches) and pear shaped (see photo).
Added to a salad, it's unique shape stands out against common round cherry tomatoes. Pair it with the yellow fig pear for added interest or enjoy as simply a sweet snack.
Q: What does "Hydroponic Seeds" in the product description mean? [Answer]
Did you know that Tomatoes made the EWG's Dirty Dozen List and was number 10 on the list in 2020?
Grow your own tomatoes from seed and keep your body safe from unnecessary pesticide exposure! We show you how to grow tomatoes on the Grow Your Health Gardening web site.
• Indeterminate Heirloom Cherry Tomato Variety
• Hydroponic-Adapted Seed:
Recommended for Hydroponic | Aeroponic | Aquaponic growing conditions
• Grown using organic growing practices on our farm
• Hydroponic Growers: Plant 1 seed p/ 1.5” rock wool cube
• Grow outside, full sun, during the warm season (nightly temps above 65ºF)
• Can be grown inside under grow lights (with temps above 70ºF)
• Seed has been fermented & tested for ideal germination
• Open Field and Hand Pollinated
• Approximately 12 seeds p/packet
Grow Your Health Gardening with these wonderful fun-shaped heirloom tomatoes!
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
(1) Historical info according to Seed Savers Exchange 12/31/20