This Calipso is an heirloom bush bean originating from Mexico and claims to originate from a 400-year-old heirloom bush bean variety with black and white markings like the Orca or Ying-Yang Bean, but these beans are larger and a bit earlier. When young, the pods can be harvested as a green bean, but when full-grown, they can be used as a bean for drying.
Beans will double in size when cooked. Creamy, plump texture, and smooth mild flavor: 1 cup dried beans = 2 ¼ cups cooked beans. Soak overnight before cooking. Note: Cooking Calypso beans are a member of the kidney bean family and in large quantities of water help maintain their distinctive coloring. Calypso beans can be combined with rice to make a unique stuffing for vegetables and are excellent in Poblano stew, or in a cold bean salad with mango and citrus. Makes for a conversation piece at your holiday gatherings or cookouts.
• Heirloom Bush Bean Variety
• Hydroponic Growers: Plant 1-2 seed(s) p/ 1.5” rock wool cube
• Grow outside, full sun, during the warm season (nightly temps above 65ºF)
• Can be grown inside under grow lights (with temps above 70ºF)
• Seed has been tested for ideal germination
• Open Field
• 90 Days to Maturation
• Approximately 12 beans p/pkg
Grow your health gardening with these super fun and great tasting beans!