Arugula is a popular leafy green used in salads, on pizzas, in soups and more. We recommend all new gardeners to grow arugula as it quickly rewards with harvests in a mere 3 to 4 weeks. This particular arugula seed has adapted to grow in a hydroponic system which will mean a stronger and healthier plant if you grow it in hydroponic, aeroponic, or aquaponic system like the Tower Garden FLEX. This arugula plant can be grown indoors under grow lights or outdoors during the cool season (nights above 40ºF and daytime temps between 60ºF and 70ºF ideal) for optimum growth.
Arugula is known be different names depending on where you are located in the world: salad rocket, garden rocket, rucola, roquette, and colewort. Arugula has the genus Eruca and is in the Brassicaceae family, so it is closely related to radish, kale, and cauliflower. It's leaves are tender and small, but has a slight peppery, spicy flavor of the radish in the background.
If you're adding this raw to salads, we recommend that you start harvesting outer leaves when your arugula is around four weeks and leave the center leaves to continue to grow. Continue to harvest weekly in the same manner as the plant continues to grow. Some treat this plant like other greens and allow it to reach maturity before harvesting and then complain that it is too bitter or too spicy. The key is to harvest younger leaves and you'll be richly rewarded with a continuous harvest and tasty salads.
Grow arugula as a wonderful addition to your salad mix as it will enhance the flavor profile of what you're eating. We dehydrate any extra or mature arugula at the end of the growing season and add it to winter soups for added nutrition and flavor, because Arugula is rich in antioxidants (compounds that reverse damage to cells), carotenoids, high levels of Vitamin C, Folic Acid, Vitamin A, E, and K, as well as calcium, potassium, phosphorus, magnesium, small levels of other B vitamins, and glucosinolates. When compared to other leafy greens, arugula has been found to be low in oxalates (chemicals that inhibit the absorption of minerals into the body) meaning your body will will benefit greatly. This is a green you want to grow and add to your dishes!
• Boosts bone health (vitamin K)
• Helps to improve the Immune System (vitamin C)
• Anti-Cancer Properties
• Good choice to add for mother's diet in pre-natal care (folic acid)
• Increases metabolic health (B vitamins)
• Supports health of good eyesight (carotenoids)
• Increases mineral absorption due to low levels of oxalates
• Has a positive effect on weight loss and overall health
Q: What does "Hydroponic Seeds" in the product description mean? [Answer]
• Hydroponic-Adapted Seed:
Recommended for Hydroponic | Aeroponic | Aquaponic growing conditions
• Grown using organic growing practices on our farm
• Hydroponic Growers: Plant 2 seeds p/ 1.5” rock wool cube
• Grow outside, full sun, during the cool season (mid-60ºF to mid-70ºF ideal, nightly temps above 55ºF) May begin to bolt (go to seed) when temps go above 85ºF
• Can be grown inside under grow lights
• Seed has been tested for ideal germination
• Open Field
• 45-60 Days to Maturity
• Approx. 25 seeds p/packet
Grow your health gardening and jazz up your salads with arugula!