Our Tom Thumb Lettuce Heirloom Seeds is hands down one of our favorite lettuce varieties to grow in a hydroponic system for salads. Last season we grew 30 Tom Thumb Lettuces in our micro-green Tower Garden extension which keeps plant spacing close and ideal for plants that don't require as much room to grow. What was wonderful especially was as we would harvest from the base of each plant, lady bugs came in and helped with any aphids that tried to move in and thus we had a balanced eco-system and a great lettuce crop. I lost count how many times we ate off of that crop of lettuce as a family of seven!
And if you're wondering about the name, it's a romaine-style lettuce in a short form and got it's name as a nod to the real person, Tom Thumb. Per Britannica: "Tom Thumb was a pseudonym of Charles Stratton, (born January 4, 1838—died July 15, 1883), American showman noted for his small stature. He was the first major attraction promoted by the circus impresario P.T. Barnum."
• Grown using organic growing practices on our farm
• Hydroponic Growers: Plant 1 seed p/ 1.5” rock wool cube
• Grow outside, full sun, during the cool season (nightly temps above 50ºF)
May begin to bolt (go to seed) when temps go above 85ºF
• Can be grown inside under grow lights (temps above 50ºF)
• Seed has been tested for ideal germination
• Open Field
• 60 Days to Maturation
• Approximately 50 seeds p/packet
Grow your health gardening and enjoy your salads with Tom Thumb Lettuce!